Saturday 26 September 2015

Inspiration versus Perspiration

So, it's almost time for "the rubber to hit the road", just as soon as I've managed to cram everything I'm going to need for the next 10-days into 2-saddle bags and a tank bag.
One thing that's going for sure is my Lady Anti Monkey Butt. It was an impulse purchase from Whitehorse Gear just because the name made me laugh, but this stuff really works. I'll leave you to work out what you do with it. It comes in a Men's version too. For just under $10 it makes the ideal stocking stuffer.


When I went out to the BMW National Rally in Missoula (Ken, you were right it was '98, not '92. I found the rally patch while I was packing) the internet was in its infancy. We thought we'd arrived because we had "dial-up" at home, we probably spent less than 10-minutes a day on-line, and Tim Horton's didn't have WiFi or Espresso.

Today communication gadgets and electrically heated gear account for almost 50% of my luggage.
Heaven forbid that I should forget a cable or a charger, or that the manufacturers could actually come up with a universal "one size fits all". Now there's a novel concept?

Electric knickers...who knew?
Bikers have known about "heated gear" for years, but try explaining to non-biking friends that you wear electrically heated underwear. I'm beginning to see that - to the uninitiated- it's not an easy concept to grasp. 

For this trip I've upgraded from a single sleeveless electric vest to a full jacket and long pants. I've installed a double "troller" on the bike, so - in theory - I should be able to control the temperature of the two garments independently. More about that later, hopefully not while I'm sitting in casualty with third degree burns to my nethers! Surely these things are fused? The black wire's live, right?

Finally, she's off.


The last two days went by in a blur. I've cleared my work desk of projects that had been hanging around for months...the laundry's all done...I've ended up packing about half the gear I originally laid out...the sun is shining and I'm off on the first leg of my trip. Just under 300 km to Oshawa.

Minor technical glitch...but it's all good
I won't tempt fate by warbling on about how well my bike is running, suffice to say I arrived in Oshawa in good time. I know that, but nobody else did until now because I forgot to press the ON switch on the previously mentioned InReach Explorer satellite gizmo. What can I say...you can only lead a horse to water!

Unpreturbed by my apparent incompetence with gadgets I added two more items yesterday. This Bluetooth Logitech keyboard which is absolutely fabulous and works like a charm, and a Selfie Stick which doesn't appear to work worth a darn...so far. Time to break out the binoculars and try reading the 2pt type instructions. Other than the directions on bottles of contact lense cleaning solution I've never seen type so small. Wish me luck!

Almost time to meet up with the Amigos
Tomorrow afternoon I meet up with Marie-Anne and Ivan. The great Arkansas Adventure begins early Monday morning...but first I'm off on a Sunday jaunt to Port Perry with my long suffering friend Anne. 
I'm looking forward to a peaceful car ride and a lot of shared laughs as we catch up on the events of the past year. It should be the perfect transition from frenzied consultant to Arkansas Adventurer.

No pressure
Note to self. CHECK TIRE PRESSURE. I can't believe I forgot to do this, next to noticing that no fluids are escaping, and all my lights work it's only THE MOST IMPORTANT THING a real biker checks before every ride. I'm off to check mine right now, and it wouldn't hurt if you checked yours too. Just sayin'.

Next stop on Sunday night...Etobicoke.


No comments:

Post a Comment