Thursday 24 September 2015

Fun with Farkles

But first, a bit of housekeeping. 

I'm in Perth, Eastern Ontario. On Sunday I'll be meeting up with Marie-Anne and Ivan in Toronto (if you need me to explain where that is you're on the wrong blog). From then on you're going to hear from all of us, but until then this is mostly "all about me".

However I can report that Ivan's hard at work with maps, and Marie-Anne's doing her due diligence to ensure we never end up eating supper in an unlicensed establishment or sleeping anywhere with short sheets!

And so...to Farkles.
There are "Bike Farkles" and "Rider Farkles".  Great gloves are rider Farkles.
Today I'm focussing on the bike.

You think a house is a money pit? Just wait 'til you start farkling a bike. There's a reason so many Doctors and Lawyers ride Harley's. They're the only ones with big enough farkling budgets to do them justice. By comparison (and because they're so darn fantastic right off the production line!) Beemers are a bit more 'entry level' when it comes to farkling. But, make no mistake, it's still possible to spend a small fortune in the quest for perfection.

In 2013 I swapped my fully faired 1987 K100RS for a new R1200R naked Roadster ("The R"). It was a bit of an impulse purchase, as I'd been contemplating hanging up my helmet just the week before. I don't recall exactly what changed my mind, but thank goodness the God's of reason were looking out for me.

So, determined to keep the cost "under $20k", be able to reach the ground with my stubby legs, have somewhere to carry my sandwiches, a shaft drive that I wouldn't have to grease, and a curb weight that I'd have half a chance of maneuvering in a parking lot I ended up riding home on a low build R with a set of hard bags, and other extras.

So far, so good. Then the fun started. Corbin seat, Wunderlich screen and lift handle (so I can haul it on to the centre stand and check the oil - if I ever find the window), crash bars - in case that last step doesn't go entirely to plan - and the obligatory 'country living' deer whistles.

Do deer whistles work?
So far so good. Funnily enough I had my closest call with deer just last night when 3 of them shot across my bow within 10-meters on a gravel road. My brakes and sphincter certainly work!

Extras for Arkansas
I'm not entirely sure I need all the extra Farkles I've been feverishly installing this past month, but I do know one thing, "Nobody likes a whiner". Least of all Ivan!

So now I've added...a GPS so I shouldn't lose the plot entirely, blindingly bright Dynamic Motorrad blinkers so I can give clear direction if I get a turn as Top Gun  (thanks to Terry Church for that lead), and spectacular Denali D2 Dual intensity driving lights so I'm ready to ride night or day.

Listen to the voice of experience
Farkling is great fun, but it gets expensive, fast. Dealerships are happy to sell and install just about anything, but the real experts are the folks that ride and I'd like to give a special "shout out" here to Roy Eastwood who's just saved me about $700!

'Twer it not for Roy asking, "You're putting on the dual intensity Denalis?" I'd have ended up with the wrong lights for the job at hand. So, thanks Roy, I owe you an ice cream.

Join us tomorrow for a light hearted look at rider Farkles...

I

No comments:

Post a Comment